Sunday, November 9, 2014

Poetry for Ordinary Time

This week, offering you a Remembrance Day meditation -- Prayer Before Sleep by Canadian composer, Sid Robinovitch, sung by the Elmer Eisler Singers,



At the going down of the sun
And in the morning,
We shall remember them.


Prayer Before Sleep



Exalted art Thou, my Lord
Who art God and King of the World,
Who weighs down my eyes
With gentle bonds of sleep,
And refreshes my tired spirit with slumber.

May it ever be Thy will,
Lord, my God, and God of all my fathers,
To lay me down in untroubled peace
And raise me up in peace once more.

Do not let dark imaginings disturb me
With thoughts of sin and despair.
O heal my fear and my suffering – 
May my bed be enclosed in Thy care.

Give light unto my eyes
Lest the sleep of death o’ertake me.
For ‘tis Thou who breathes life
Into man’s slumb’ring soul.

Exalted art Thou, O Lord,
Who illuminates all the world
With His glory.





No comments: