Monday, May 2, 2022

A Long and Winding Road: A Reflection on Care-giving

An update from Brian C., shared by permission. He and Sheila appreciate our prayers, and know how much we miss them. Speaking from experience as a caregiving wife, Sheila is doing Yeoman's duty and doing it well.

"I had my 4th chemo treatment on Friday and all seems well. My blood work has stabilized and I have no real side effects from the chemo. I will having a CAT scan on May 13th to check out how things are going. My doctor says that he thinks here must be progress or I would be sicker than I am.I hope he is right. Sheila has been rock; making sure that I "behaving" myself , taking all my meds and getting mr to my appointments; as well as doing everything else she normally does."
It's a long and winding road...and sometimes...even if the ones for whom we care are our "brothers" (or sisters), it can be a heavy burden.
When we pray for those who are ill and in treatment, it's important to pray for their care-givers, whoever they are -- whether or not they are related in any way.
If you are the child of a parent in need of care, you will understand the need for prayer and support.
If you are a married person, you will understand the need for prayer and support as you live out your vows that mention BOTH "for better or for worse" and "in sickness and in health".
If you are the friend of a single, unrelated person who has no near family -- or has been estranged -- and you are caring for that person, you will understand the need for prayer and support to uphold your friendship during your journey together.
If you are a health-care provider in elder-care, palliative care, long-Covid care...well...you get my drift.
May we with these posts remember not only Brian and Sheila, but also Ron and Helen, and former caregivers Jean C. for Dwight and Alison Thompson for Dale...and others of whom I, as person posting, are not aware. Thank you.




Like
Comment
Share

No comments: