Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Poetry in Ordinary Time

This week, something from the late Peggy Freydberg (March 6, 1908 - March 27, 2015)...

Be Still, My Soul*

The rooms overlooking the pond
have enlarged with an ethereal light.
The sky fills them.

It is time to light a fire, 
to pour a glass of wine.
To sit,
and wait,
for all those satisfactions
that always fail to satisfy.

Instead,
restless, I start to wander
through the strange vast glowing of the rooms.
I tell myself
I want to see the hymn of the setting sun
along the old stone wall built centuries ago
to keep a farmer's sheep from wandering far afield.

By a window in the bedroom,
on an antique carved Italian chair,
I find my cat,
sitting with unfathomable stillness,
looking out.

At what?
I see no creature moving.
But, 
how can I see
what cats see?
How can I perceive a variation of existence
known only to a cat,
who watches the light on an old stone wall,
or the ghosts of sheep?

For my soul's sake,
I bend,
and,
carefully,
I place the palms of both my hands
along his sides,
finding a being without boundaries.

Sudden,
complete and sweet as truth,
his stillness
strikes me into stillness.





*From Poems from the Pond: 107 Years of Words and Wisdom - Peggy Freydberg, 2015.

No comments: