Thursday, January 25, 2024

Can People's Minds be Changed?

 This is the question Robert is asking in his sermon video from Sunday, January 21. May it bless your day.  😊




He adds these thoughts:

For what it is worth: my sermon for January 21, 2024. I am reflecting on Jonah 3.1-5, 10 and Mark 1.14-20.

A stark contrast between scripture and a common mindset came to mind when thinking about the message of these readings. We are more and more self-censoring, not saying something we feel called to say, not engaging in conversations we think we should have. Old or new we have a saying that that gets used to support this practice of self-censoring: "you can't change peoples' minds."

No doubt there are good ways and bad ways to talk about the vast array of things that need working out, but I do not think that scripture supports a mentality that says you can't change people's minds. I don't even think it is true of our actual daily experience!

I try to put this together in my sermon.

No comments: